On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Almost all commercial hydrogen is derived from the highly efficient “steam
> reforming” reaction aka the water-gas shift reaction (WGSR). It is one of
> the most efficient reactions in all of petro-chemistry, especially when the
> steam is cogenerated.

Am I correct in understanding, then, that the conversion process is
something like this?

hydrocarbons * efficiency to electricity -> electrical input * efficiency
to heat -> heat input * efficiency to steam -> steam reforming * efficiency
to hydrogen -> hydrogen burning * efficiency of hydrogen in an ICE

Eric