We show that the spectral gap problem is undecidable. Specifically, we
construct families of translationally-invariant, nearest-neighbour
Hamiltonians on a 2D square lattice of d-level quantum systems (d
constant), for which determining whether the system is gapped or gapless is
an undecidable problem. This is true even with the promise that each
Hamiltonian is either gapped or gapless in the strongest sense: it is
promised to either have continuous spectrum above the ground state in the
thermodynamic limit, or its spectral gap is lower-bounded by a constant in
the thermodynamic limit. Moreover, this constant can be taken equal to the
local interaction strength of the Hamiltonian. This implies that it is
logically impossible to say in general whether a quantum many-body model is
gapped or gapless. Our results imply that for any consistent, recursive
axiomatisation of mathematics, there exist specific Hamiltonians for which
the presence or absence of a spectral gap is independent of the axioms.
These results have a number of important implications for condensed matter
and many-body quantum theory.

See:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.04573

Jack