Horace Heffner wrote:

On Jan 8, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Jones Beene wrote:

Horace

What happens to the angular momentum? This seems to deny conservation of angular momentum.

No problem there. 1 - 1 = 0 All balances before and after pair formation.

That doesn't look like a proper cross product, or else I don't understand the full situation.

Conservation of angular momentum is conservation of the vector *sum* of the constituants of a system.

You have studied this more than me, obviously, but I was under the impression that as a psuedovector there would be no such additive cancellation. However, being mildly dyslexic I often get these kinds of spin things confused, so please correct this line of reasoning. Angular momentum is a pseudovector. Often, the distinction between vectors and pseudovectors is overlooked, but it only becomes important in understanding the effect of symmetry on the solution to physical system interactions.

A pseudovector can also be described as a vector in which the "head" and "tail" have been chosen arbitrarily, because there isn't a natural "frontwards" or "backwards" for it. Thus in certain coordinate transformations it may misbehave.

HOWEVER, once you have (arbitrarily) chosen a "frontward" and "backward" orientation, you can certainly find a second pseudovector whose value will "cancel" the first. Two electrons with flipped spins certainly have angular momenta which sum to zero, regardless of whether you've chosen the "right-hand" or "left-hand" orientation on which to base your angular momentum calculations.

Just about anything which is related to the coordinate system by a "right hand rule" probably conceals a pseudo-vector; if 95% of the population were left-handed instead of right-handed the rule would most likely have been written the other way around. So, for instance, you might well ask which way the magnetic field around a conducting wire "points" -- clockwise or counter-clockwise? The choice is arbitrary, and the magnetic field is also a pseudovector.

An "improper" rotation is one that mirrors one axis. After that, you're working in a left-hand coordinate system, and that's when you notice something's gone wrong with the right-hand-rule and all the pseudovectors which were obtained using it.

Velocity has a "natural frontwards direction" to it, as does an electric field (er, at least, it does once you've arbitrarily chosen whether to designate a proton or an electron as "positive"). Neither of those is a pseudovector.

Here's a thought. If we discover magnetic monopoles, will the magnetic field still be a pseudovector? Uh........

A pseudovector is a quantity that transforms like a vector under a proper rotation, but gains an additional sign flip under an improper rotation (a transformation that can be expressed as an inversion followed by a proper rotation which is what we have here with two electrons - an improper rotation). It follows that any improper rotation multiplies the cross product by -1 compared to a true vector.

My take on the bottom line of this is that the angular momentum cancellation you seem to be basing this premise on cannot happen in normal physics.

...or did I get dyslexic again ?

Jones

You are making the simple complex. Since before and after the proposed superposition the electrons share the same axis, view the electron angular momenta along a single axis. You don't need to think in vector addition terms then, just simple addition. The moments before superposition are +mu and -mu respectively. +mu - mu = 0 Net momentum of the system is zero. Afterwards the angular momentum is still zero. The net momentum of two counter-spinning gyros is zero.

Horace Heffner