> On Jan 28, 2016, at 12:05, H Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Perhaps the energy of the collapsing bubble is channeled ( with the help of
> the dense plasma) into the isotope's​ nucleus converting it into an unstable
> isomer which triggers prompt beta decay.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking, although I wasn't thinking of
an isomeric transition.  In this particular case, where we have a (double) beta
emitter, perhaps, like you say, the dense plasma of electrons is partially
channelled through the nucleus. Although the weak interaction has a small cross
section, a much higher flux of electrons than usual might  compensate.

Eric