On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Mark Jurich <jur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Not sure what you mean by “full-blown calorimetry”, but I can tell you this
> (having been assisting Alan rather closely for the last several months).

By "full-blown calorimetry," I have in mind mass flow calorimetry,
isoperibolic calorimetry, etc.  Using a single thermocouple for a cell is
something different.  That does not to suggest that it cannot be made to
work.  But I assume your experimental uncertainty is going to be a lot
higher.  (Was the experimental uncertainty calculated?)

We know that the calorimetry changes (it’s a moving target), but we had no
> dummy post calibration to check it against.

Yes -- I remember seeing comments about the behavior of the thermocouples
changing over time.  I would imagine that knowing this and not being able
to do a post-calibration check on the dummy would disqualify the
temperature results.  (I recall reading that Alan has specifically *not*
claimed excess heat in this case.)

Eric