On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 10:48 AM, H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

In the Mössbauer effect when nucleus emits a photon all the recoil
> energy is absorbed by the lattice as a whole due to the quantization
> of the vibrational states of the lattice.

I've always wondered about the explanation that the Mossbauer effect occurs
because the lattice as a whole absorbs the recoil energy.  This case seems
indistinguishable from the one where the nucleus is vibrating back and
forth horizontally and emits the photon as it is moving forward, in the
direction of travel, causing the recoil to cancel.  Is anyone familiar
enough with the Mossbauer effect to explain why this alternative
explanation is ruled out?

Eric