Jones wrote..

> Why do liquids, for instance, NOT have the minimum b-a tensile
> strength? ... a possible analogy: the same reason that a sieve
> swung through air has less resistance than a pot of the same size?

Grimer wrote..

>You must be psychic Jones cos I have just realised that a whole
hierarchy of nets or sieves is the way to model the higher powers
found in stuff like the three water vapours.

When one compresses a region of space, it's like squeezing the
sea with a net. One only catches fish bigger than the mesh size.
As one reduces the mesh size smaller and smaller creatures are
captured and the bulk modulus increases drastically. If one had
a completely impermeable piston and cylinder then space would
be incompressible. A case of the proverbial irresistible force
meeting the immovable object. These hierarchies of substances are
independent of each other and thus effectively constitute the
metrics of independent spaces in much the same way as a series
off overlaid graph papers of different colours and different
gradations constitute a series of independent finite spaces.

The isothermal, adiabatic compressions provide a chink in the
armour and the VP laws should get us well on the road. The
very high powers of the clay water system should reveal how
asymmetry behaves. Once people cotton on to the hierarchical
techniques of looking for discontinuities to use as zeros for
the powers, they will start turning up everywhere. The beauty of
a hierarchical system is that, like a mathematical series, once
one can master the general term, one has mastered them all.

Frank and Jones..

You two give me pause. Picture a 48 " cube clear plexiglas tank ( not cylindrical) filled with water. Insert down from top a 5" dia. diamond shaped high speed vacuum induction mixer head lowered one and 1/2 foot below surface. Increase the rpm speed of the mixing head to above 7,000 rpm. A  vortex " rope" appears in the center below the rotating member. The rotating member draws the flow "toward" the member ( opposite of the action of a propeller that thrusts away).  The rope is a near perfect cylinder like the eye of a hurricane. This configuration is different from the "rope' produced at speeds below 4000 rpm which is similar to a  tornado shape that meanders and produces an occasional "strike" against the rotatiing member.

 We have watched the near perfect 'cylinder" shed vortices inside the cube shaped tank. We expected random vortices to shed. We were surprised  to produce a horizontal vortex independent from the center cylinder. This horizontal vortex has its top cone facing the northwest quadrant of the tank wall parallel with the north wall. It remains fairly consistent in the shape of a classic vortex. The interesting part is that it must receive its energy from the center cylinder but there is no visible connection. The rest of the water in the tank is violently agitated with the top water surface boiling from the massive quanity of air inducted through the mixing head. I have been spending time trying to wrap my mind around your comment... "compressions provide a chink in the armor".

Richard