I was once working with a technician who had hooked up an L-C circuit
(without a transformer) and saw AC voltage gain.  He was convinced that he
had an overunity invention.  The voltage gain was outside of his
expectation.  However, it was pointed out by someone with more experience
that the voltage gain was entirely anticipated and there was no power
gain.  Expectation all comes down to breadth of experience.  Magnetic
circuits will frequently fool our expectation.  In such cases, it is really
useful to simulate the system with a model that is entirely without unknown
physics and see how the model compares with observation.  If it predicts
the same phenomena, you can be pretty sure that the outcome was simply
outside your expectation.  SPICE is a wonderful first-principles tool for a
lot of this with wires and magnets.  But it takes experience with SPICE to
implement a proper model.  Fortunately, there are free SPICE simulators
with good user interfaces to make it easy.