On 09/03/2016 01:35 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com <mailto:sa...@pobox.com>> wrote:

    And more important, how could the dirt /circulate?/  It wouldn't
    make it past the boil/vaporize/recondense stage.

If there really was steam, the dirt could be coming from the condenser.

But it wouldn't /build up/. The stain in the water would all be fresh wash-off from the condenser, picked up on that pass through it.

The condenser would have to have been literally scaling away, disintegrating on the inside, for that to happen if the crud didn't make it around the circuit along with the water -- and then the whole thing would have clogged up essentially instantly, as the dissolved guts of the condenser reappeared in the boilers.

And supposedly photos of the rig showed that the water got dirtier as time went by. (At least, I think that's what they said.)

    As if we needed more proof -- but the brown water seems pretty
    iron-clad . . .

Literally. There was lots of rust in it.

:-)