Robins do this also. Nothing I have found can dissuade them from crashing their reflection. I had one persist for over two weeks.

--On Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:56 AM +1100 mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,
[snip]
My point being, that barely qualifies as conscious. Not as I defined
it: "Awareness of surroundings. Some ability to make choices . . ." It
is more like a set of complicated hard-wired reactions. The cricket
mistakes a plastic object for another cricket. Its perceptions and
awareness of the surroundings are very crude, compared to a bird or
mouse.

Some birds are not much better. I had a little blue jay in mortal combat
with his own reflection in the window during mating season. On the other
side of glass I could sit with my face not six inches away from him and
he still persisted.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk