Millions of air passengers carry their cell phones onboard. Cell phones have lithium batteries, yet you don't hear about them being a problem. It would be interesting to know if there is a correlation between the size of the battery and the failure rate when airborne.

mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,

I recently saw a sticker on an envelope that said "road transport only, do not
send by air", and it occurred to me that the item in question probably contained
Li batteries. I wonder why it's safe to transport Li batteries by road, but not
by air?
Also most of the Li battery failures I have heard of have been in aircraft. If
that's the case, then perhaps the higher level of cosmic radiation at altitude
is the immediate cause of failure of Li batteries transported by air??

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk