The MANELAS Phenomenon seems to be included in a family of overunity
devices that are related to negative resistance.

In electronics *negative resistance* (*NR*) is a property of some electrical
circuits and devices in which an increase in voltage across the device's
terminals results in a decrease in electric current through it.

 While a positive resistance consumes power from current passing through
it, a negative resistance produces power. Under certain conditions it can
increase the power of an electrical signal, amplifying it.

Fluorescent lamp is a device with negative differential resistance. In
operation, an increase in current through the fluorescent tube causes a
drop in voltage across it. If the tube were connected directly to the power
line, the falling tube voltage would cause more and more current to flow,
until it destroyed itself. To prevent this, fluorescent tubes are connected
to the power line through a *ballast*. The ballast adds positive impedance (AC
resistance) to the circuit to counteract the negative resistance of the
tube, limiting the current.

Harvey Norris  has posted here on vortex many times about his experiments
involving tubes of xenon plasma that seem to produce more power out than is
feed into it.

Another LENR system called the plasmatron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFsTttzh0oA

There is a layer of dark mode hydrogen that accumulates near the surface of
the hydrogen plasma ball in the Safire experiment. It absorbs energy until
it reaches a limit where it erupts. The input power is 1800 watts of DC
power and the power produced during an eruption is 2,000,000 to 10,000,000
watts. There is also signs of a material with a nucleon count of 3 being
produced in the experiment.

A theory that could explain the development of the dark layer is the "Dark
mode" polariton soliton theory. The polariton "Black Hole" absorbs energy
until it reaches a limit whereupon it explodes in a bosenova. There is an
energy storage mechanism in play here and a possible indicator of a Bose
condensate as witnessed by a coordinated release of a huge amount of stored
energy. This is a behavior that would be expected in a system centered on
Dark Mode polariton micro black holes. This behavior is also seen in the
experiments of Holmlid and defkalion among many other LENR experiments.

This theory can be verified by the appearance of K-mesons and its decay
products such as muons and electrons. A particle detector that follows
Holmlid's design might work well in the Safire experiment it show that a
nucleon decay based nuclear process is happening in Safire.

This Safire experiment looks a lot like the plasmatron, an overunity power
device produced in the 1980's using hydrogen based plasma.

Experimenters in overunity could duplicate the Safire and/or the
plasmatron experiment
and test for emissions of sub-atomic particles.

It may be possible to take a sample of the gas from the dark hydrogen layer
and use a photographic emulsion to check for monopole based monopole tracks
as is commonly seen in many LENR based experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-94c1Q6Ms

And last but not least is the Papp engine which produces overunity electric
current from a mixture of noble gases without the production of heat.

In summary, there is a class of related LENR systems that produce electrons
out of whole cloth without the production of any heat . Such systems have
little or nothing to do with hydrogen fusion and excess heat production.