AI and multilevel neural network are nothing new.
In 88 when I was student ,  Yann Lecun was a reference in the domain...
Older than Cold Fusion
But the size of the network and the data were too small.
Internet also overtake the priority on AI, Expert System, neural network,
Natural language Processing, and it was followed by Grid computing, Mobile
internet... Statistic translation also
But in fact neural network was discretely integrated in many niche
programs, and deep learning get back in fashion because it could manager,
and worked better, with huge data.
I've met a guy using deep learning, to detect pictures of Luxury good from
French Brand, bought for cheat in France and sold on Alibaba in China...
Facebook is known to detect nudity or forbidden image that way... with some
well known mistake, that i find quite logical.
Google plan to start that to organize anti #fakenews censorship (down
indexation)...

All that could be fantastic if it was not centralized, if you could choose
your censorship ruling, your nudity preferences.

I see two moves for AI evolution.
One, leading to anthropomorphic/animality, is integration of motivation and
feeling/mood into AI in physical devices... the famous Chicken bot of Jed.

Another move is the distribution. AI have the power to be more perfect than
human, so it must stay associated with humans, empowering people, not
controlling them.
the nightmare could be what I see as Google/facebook AI filtering, which
could be more efficient, blind, and totalitarian than the Catholic Church
and it's index. an AI can implement the Law, and all the Law, and this
cannot work.
A, AI designed by Caltech could have made Cold Fusion disapear on earth
like some demand Climate skepicism be banned, and we try to ban nazism or
hate speech.
"Hell is paved with good intents".
I prefer an imperfect earth, and a perfect hell.

In fact like there is many people, there should be any AI, competing,
associated, specialized, with different approach, different tastes,
different strategies, and if possible educated differently by different
people, different culture.
An AI should be always in competition with dissenting AI, a rule of free
market.
No monopoly in ideas, in market, or in AI.