in fact in my school (ESIEE), multilevel neuronal network were fashion
(Yann Lecun was a reference as ancient from the school).
what was limiting was compute power (we were thinking about specialized
hardware mimicking life)...
Experts systems were more applicable, like natural language processing by
deterministic methods (semantic graphs, my colleague worked on that in the
90s until 2k bubble )...
with low computation power, testing was hard too, and small networks don't
work. hard to get popular this way.

finally I get to think solution of statistical methods like google
translate was the future.
it came back as a surprise for me, like AI fashion, and strangely I
rediscover Yann's name.

don't tell me it is new... it is renewed.

It remind me Jed booklet on the future, telling LENR will make robotic
evolve because much of the engineering will be simplified, helping to focus
on AI.