Nigel Dyer wrote:

I have been musing about spin and Leonard Susskinds lectures and books have got me thinking in a slightly different way: There is very much LENR related, but I will start with a 'simple' question .... In the Stern Gerlach experiment the act of 'measuring' the spin of the particle has an effect on the spin, in that the information about the spin in the non-measured axis has been destroyed...

Not only has the "information" been destroyed but in addition, the actual property itself can be destroyed or at least divorced/nullified. Here is an older article that helps to explain a feature of electrons, which is often ignored.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090730141607.htm

As for a LENR connection: Electrons can be modeled as having three separate components: spin, charge and orbit. Electrons in solids under self-compression (such as dense hydrogen) are actually able to split-off and nullify one or two of these components in a process called spin–charge separation. In the case of UDH the lost property is orbit but it can be charge or spin in other circumstances.

This weird phenomenon normally only happens close to absolute zero ... and LENR - at least the Holmlid variety - could represent the case where properties are separated at higher temperature under laser compression. (or else laser cooling has lowed the effective temperature to near zero). Wiki has an entry on spin-charge separation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin%E2%80%93charge_separation

The late Ken Shoulders was able to produce and document pulses of bound electrons he called EVOs in which the charge component was effectively separated in order to allow "charge clusters" to form despite mutual repulsion. This was a small scale version of so-called "ball lightning". Here is an article on Ken.

http://www.infinite-energy.com/iemagazine/issue61/chargeclusters.html