I think it's pretty obvious that the U.S. could provide all of its electricity from renewable sources like wind and solar. It's really just a matter of economics and will. The scales are tipping in favor of renewables nowadays with grid-power going up in price fairly rapidly and renewables becoming more competitve each year. A utility in my home state just announced a whopping 50% increase in their rates to cover the surge in natural gas generating costs. How much longer can these sorts of price increases continue before people just start looking at alternatives more seriously?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Horace Heffner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: Wind Projects

On Feb 4, 2006, at 6:35 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Map of wind projects:

http://www.awea.org/projects/index.html

"TOTAL INSTALLED U.S. WIND ENERGY CAPACITY: 9,149 MW as of Dec 31,  2005"

I see Alaska is shown with only 1 installed wind project. I assume they don't count windmills below some capacity.

Alaska has a colossal wind potential, but it is very hard to get to and tap. It is located at the top of mountain ridges.

Horace Heffner