On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Jed Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Che <[email protected]> wrote: > > >> Jesus Christ, you bourgeois types... the POINT is to CHANGE the World: a >> concept you people ARE most absolutely unfamiliar with. >> > > I have probably done more to change the world with computers than you > have. Not always in good ways, but I had an impact. If I succeed at > promoting cold fusion and it becomes generally used, I shall play an > important role in changing the world more than Marxism and Capitalism > combined. > > Plus I expect I know more history than you do, especially the history of > Japan and China. > You'd be a fool to generalize those thoughts. But my whole life I've had to deal with opinionated middle-class types like you. > > > Anything real will NOT really die. Stop thinking so short-term and >> personal interest. >> > > Many real things have been discovered and then forgotten. Some were > rediscovered, such as Mendelian genetics. There is no doubt that other > discoveries and technologies were lost for good, because we have no idea > how ancient people managed to do some of the things they did. When the > University of Manchester set about recreating a partial scale working copy > of the Newcomen engine, they discovered a great about it that had been > forgotten. > > We have no idea how many discoveries, ideas and techniques have been lost > because . . . they are lost. Trying to account for them is like the old > joke about the absent minded professor telling students, "anyone absent > today should please raise your hand." > > - Jed > As I said: apologia. In the worst sense of that word. What's REAL is REAL, fella. QED

