http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2016/ph241/yoon1/

The Curious Story of the Muon-Catalyzed Fusion Reaction

The Curious fact is that LENR produces mostly muons from the energy that it
generates from nuclear reactions and very little heat.

These muons push out covalent electrons that bind chemical compounds
together and fuse that molecule into a heavier element. What comes out of
the transmutation process is a reflection of the chemical elements that go
into that reaction. In this why, chemistry controls the products of
transmutation.

What happens in LENR is a Muon-Catalyzed Fusion Chain Reaction where muons
beget many more muons. In this way tons of carbon can be converted to even
more tons of iron without much heat produced in all that fusion. The wild
proliferation of muon production is truly staggering but the electric arc
smelter does not vaporize in a mushroom cloud the size of a few countries.
The foundry workers do not die of gamma radiation exposure and nothing is
amiss except more iron is produced by the ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgr4aoZZ4fI