In this type of thorium breeder reactor, the thorium is just an minor
additive to the fuel  because most of the fuel is U238 as a proliferation
protection mechanism (less than 5% fissile). A thorium reactor produces
loads of plutonium 239 because of all that U238 in the fuel as required by
nrc regulations.

Also. neptunium-237, is a proliferation risk and is water soluble which
makes it a very dangerous nuclear waste that thorium reactors cannot burn
that can travel far and wide through the water table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptunium

"Neptunium is fissionable, and could theoretically be used as fuel in a
fast neutron reactor or a nuclear weapon, with a critical mass of around 60
kilograms.[71] In 1992, the U.S. Department of Energy declassified the
statement that neptunium-237 "can be used for a nuclear explosive
device".[140] It is not believed that an actual weapon has ever been
constructed using neptunium. As of 2009, the world production of
neptunium-237 by commercial power reactors was over 1000 critical masses a
year, but to extract the isotope from irradiated fuel elements would be a
major industrial undertaking.[141]

In September 2002, researchers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory
briefly created the first known nuclear critical mass using neptunium in
combination with shells of enriched uranium (uranium-235), discovering that
the critical mass of a bare sphere of neptunium-237 "ranges from kilogram
weights in the high fifties to low sixties,"[1] showing that it "is about
as good a bomb material as [uranium-235]."[27] The United States Federal
government made plans in March 2004 to move America's supply of separated
neptunium to a nuclear-waste disposal site in Nevada.[141]"