​
​​

*If you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich? Turns out it’s just chance.*
The most successful people are not the most talented, just the luckiest, a
new computer model of wealth creation confirms. Taking that into account
can maximize return on many kinds of investment.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610395/if-youre-so-smart-why-arent-you-rich-turns-out-its-just-chance/

paper
​:​

https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.07068

Talent vs Luck: the role of randomness in success and failure

A. Pluchino. A. E. Biondo, A. Rapisarda
(Submitted on 20 Feb 2018 (v1), last revised 25 Feb 2018 (this version, v2))

The largely dominant meritocratic paradigm of highly competitive Western
cultures is rooted on the belief that success is due mainly, if not
exclusively, to personal qualities such as talent, intelligence, skills,
efforts or risk taking. Sometimes, we are willing to admit that a certain
degree of luck could also play a role in achieving significant material
success. But, as a matter of fact, it is rather common to underestimate the
importance of external forces in individual successful stories. It is very
well known that intelligence or talent exhibit a Gaussian distribution
among the population, whereas the distribution of wealth - considered a
proxy of success - follows typically a power law (Pareto law). Such a
discrepancy between a Normal distribution of inputs, with a typical scale,
and the scale invariant distribution of outputs, suggests that some hidden
ingredient is at work behind the scenes. In this paper, with the help of a
very simple agent-based model, we suggest that such an ingredient is just
randomness. In particular, we show that, if it is true that some degree of
talent is necessary to be successful in life, almost never the most
talented people reach the highest peaks of success, being overtaken by
mediocre but sensibly luckier individuals. As to our knowledge, this
counterintuitive result - although implicitly suggested between the lines
in a vast literature - is quantified here for the first time. It sheds new
light on the effectiveness of assessing merit on the basis of the reached
level of success and underlines the risks of distributing excessive honors
or resources to people who, at the end of the day, could have been simply
luckier than others. With the help of this model, several policy hypotheses
are also addressed and compared to show the most efficient strategies for
public funding of research in order to improve meritocracy, diversity and
innovation.