Hi,
[snip]
>Hi Robin,
>
>I am pretty sure it was D2 … but as you say, the precursor to any nuclear
>reaction of this type could be a first stage densification reaction - whether
>it be Millsean or Holmlidean or otherwise… such as the binuclear atom being
>promoted by Accomazzi. A binuclear atom with two close electrons seems like it
>would be an improvement over the Mills di-deuterino in that the 2nd or
>non-reacting half of the pair gets to be closer in to the Pd nucleus and
>presumably could carry away more of the excess energy…
>
>If cold fusion is a two step process, that detail would help explain the
>problem of reproducibility and heat-after-death and a few other things. The
>remarkable thing about Biberian’s finding is that it may represent the most
>solid evidence to be presented in 29 years for an identifiable nuclear
>pathway, but nobody really wants to deal with that… since the expectation of
>helium is so entrenched.

If this is indeed the mechanism, then another, possibly more interesting,
reaction might be:-

27Al+1H+1H => 28Si + 1H + 11.585 MeV

(Al27 like Pd105, also has a spin of 5/2.)

Both starting and ending products are stable, and both H and Al are cheap as
dirt. (Al is about 7-8% of dirt in fact) ;)

At our current rate of energy use, just the top 1 km of the land surface of the
Earth would supply us with energy for 2 trillion years. Needless to say, the Sun
won't last that long. In fact, just the top 1 m would be a better match to the
expected life of the planet.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success