Hi,
[snip]
>Robert Dynes of UCSD found that the transition temperature of lead (Pb)
>increased when it was in contact with silver. This was unexpected.
>Unfortunately for further aspects of this argument, Dynes became the head of
>the UC system and exited this research niche. He had attributed the reverse
>proximity effect to “the strong links that exist between electrons in silver”
>which is somewhat lame – and it is possible that instead, silver grains at the
>interface were developing local superconductivity which more than compensated
>for what was lost with the lead.

If the transition temperature increases, I think that makes it a better
superconductor, not worse.
As to why it increased, I suspect it's because the two metals have different
work functions, resulting in electron migration, and a matching change in the
lattice constants of the Pb, which in turn would alter the Tc.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success