Hi,
[snip]
>Those mass factors were covered in this analysts as follows:
>
>Quartz (33.4 ton), charcoal (with fixed carbon content of 13.2
>ton) and scrap steel (5.1 ton) while the daily output production of Fe–Si
>alloy (73.5% Si) was 24.75 ton. From the total weights
>of Si and Fe in the input feed and assuming 100% recovery of the metals,
>the daily output alloy production could at best have
>been only 20.5 ton.

That's assuming that the only thing in the output was Fe-Si. If CO was also
included then 24.75 is quite reasonable.

(Note that when the output product was chemically analyzed, the CO from the
sample may well have simply disappeared into the air, as a consequence of the
process used to analyze the sample.)
Note also that the total input mass = 51.7 tons.

>However to our surprise throughout the 11-week period
>the total daily Fe–Si alloy (with 73.5% Si) output was
>consistently 24.75 ton, corresponding to a daily “anomalous” excess metal
>production of 4.25 ton of Fe–Si alloy.

Consistency would imply a fixed ratio, which in turn seems to imply a chemical
bond with fixed ratios.

See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_pentacarbonyl

by which I don't mean to imply that that was the precise chemical involved, but
rather only to show that CO has an affinity for Fe.

Furthermore as evidenced by https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16571066, it
also has an affinity for Si. Therefore I think my suggestion may well be
reasonable, and furthermore seems to fit the facts a lot better than other
suggestions so far.

BTW, CO is dangerous for humans to inhale precisely because the CO molecule
binds with the Fe in hemoglobin, preventing the hemoglobin from binding to
Oxygen, which in turn results in suffocation.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success