Of course Dirac, Klein, and Gordon should head the list, since their
relativistic QM equations started much of this over 80 years ago. While
they were not snubbed, the deep-orbit electron level was certainly rejected
by the mainstream.

You should add Jean-Luc Paillet to the list since he is confirming and
improving the deep Dirac levels that Va'vra and Maly presented (along with
those of Klein and Gordon) to the CMNS community in 1993 - 1995.

Jon Naudts, in 2005, proposed the deep-electron orbit for CF based on the
Klein-Gordon (relativistic Schrodinger) equation for spinless particles.
Including spin (via the Dirac equations) only changed the binding energy of
these orbits by ~ 2 keV. Every decade since 1959 has someone publishing on
the deep-electron orbits of the Dirac and/or Klein-Gordon equations. Just
as regularly, the mainstream pushed the idea down to preserve the status
quo.

Schwinger was also "scorned" when he proposed that nuclear energy could be
shared with bound electrons since this could lead to deeper orbits and
fusion.
_ _ _