I had a 50 year old Sears Homart gas furnace.  It was about 60% efficient.  I
have upgraded to an 80% efficiency Lenox.
The new furnace has a smaller fire box.  The old one, I was told, was oversized.
It has a flue gas damper.  This seems to keep the bacement warmer. as the warm
air comes out in the bacement not up the chiminey.
It has a computerized circuit board.  The board limits the fire box temp at
first to allow for some heating up on cool days.On cold days it learns and
switches to a mode that can heat the fire box all the way to 180F.
The pump does not come on until the water box comes up to temp.  I fail to see
how tthis helps.
It has a spark ignitor that eliminates pilot light waste.
I can't wait to compare bills with my sister.  Before we were running about the
same on heating loads.
I have done my part to help with global warming.  Greata Thumberg.would like
this.
Frank Z