Hi,
[snip]
>I found an old Hoover HEPA vacuum bag and thought to make a mask.  Then I
>Googled the idea.  Nothing new under the sun.  HEPA spec is 300 nm but test
>show them effective down to 50 nm (depends on the rating).  SARS-CoV-2 is
>125 nm.

I think the size of the virus is irrelevant. The mask doesn't really have to
stop individual virus particles, it only
has to stop the moisture droplets that carry them. Droplets are thousands of
times larger than the virus.
A normal handkerchief/silk scarf should do fine provided that there are no
spaces around edge where droplets can bypass
the filter.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success