Harry—

The following is taken from the news item by Svensmark:

•  When the sun is dormant, magnetically speaking, there are more cosmic rays
and more low clouds, and the world is cooler.
•  When the sun is active, fewer cosmic
rays<https://phys.org/tags/cosmic+rays/> reach the Earth and, with fewer low
clouds<https://phys.org/tags/clouds/>, the planet warms up----

The 2 bullets are confusing, because the parameters associated with the sun
dormancy and activity are not the same.

Svensmark seems to say the dormancy is associated with magnetic storms; but he
does not indicate a measurable parameter associated with the Sun’s activity.

The following link is instructive regarding this question and of interest
regarding a hot and cold Earth.

http://lasp.colorado.edu/sorce/news/2010ScienceMeeting/doc/Session1/1.06_Lal_35KYr.pdf

It is entitled:

Direct measurements of solar activity in the past 35,000 years

Bob Cook