Thank you JonesBeene.  The thought that the mass of the device may change
under certain conditions had not crossed my mind.  Can you refer me to some
good papers on the Shawyer truncated cone?

Yes, I am familiar with Bird Wattmeters.  However, in this experimental
setup, nothing is matched to a 50 ohm impedance, so I think it may be
simpler and more straightforward to simply measure the Drain current I_d.

Imagine a simple Class A NMOS amplifier, with n LC circuit between the
Drain and the positive rail.  In my experiment, the hyperbolic horn
structure serves in place of the resonant circuit.  The current flows down
the central pipe in the middle.  The current varies in magnitude, but never
reverses direction.  Therefore, the magnetic field varies in magnitude, and
gives rise to wave phenomena, but does not reverse direction.  Therefore,
the hysteresis curve stays in the upper right-hand quadrant.

I think of it like stirring a bucket of water.  If you stir only clockwise
and do not reverse direction, you will begin to create a vortex.  The
surface of the water will dip down and form a funnel, shaped like a
hyperbolic horn.