I found a video demonstrating Pictet's classic experiment of radiant
heating and radiant cooling which inspired Rumford's work.
Unfortunately the video is in Russian. but if you know what it is about  it
is easy to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW4T0ZaiGno

There are two parabolic mirrors facing each other. Either a lit candle or
what appears to be a vial of liquid nitrogen is located at the focus of the
mirror on the left. At the focus of the mirror on the right is some sort of
thermometer.  As the horizontal line on the monitor moves up or down it
indicates either an increase or decrease in temperature.

Harry