Robin <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au> wrote:

> A space ship traveling at half the speed of light would encounter these
> molecules traveling in the opposite direction at
> that velocity. Assuming that the kinetic energy of these particles is
> calculated using 1/2 m*v^2 (it's actually more at
> that speed), then the power associated with the impact on the hull of the
> ship is about 1/2 MW /cm^2.
> If we further assume that the hull is made of 1/2 cm thick Titanium, then
> it will reach it's melting point after an
> exposure of 4 milliseconds.

Arthur Clarke and others who thought about interstellar spacecraft
discussed this problem. In the 1970s, Clarke thought this could be fixed by
putting a giant piece of ice in front of the spaceship, to absorb the
particles. The ice would be gradually worn away. I guess the estimate of
the total mass of particles was smaller. Or he did his arithmetic wrong.

If these numbers are correct, I suppose the only way to overcome the
particles is by moving them out of the way. I guess a gigantic cow-catcher
would not work. A science-fiction "force field" would be ideal, but there
is no such thing as far as I know. Can the particles be given a charge from
a distance, and then moved out of the way with a magnetic field? Sort of
like a flying tokamak.