On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:16 AM JonesBeene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> If you haven’t seen it- this entry below addresses the semantics issue,
> which is the bulk of the problem of cold radiation.
>

> https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/193054/thermodynamics-possibility-of-cold-radiation

Before the current understanding of radiation and heat mostly
solidified into a consensus in the second half of the 19th century, there
were deep disagreements about the nature of heat and radiation which could
not be resolved semantically.
BTW It is important to keep in mind that there is a distinction between the
laws of thermodynamics and theories of heat and radiation, because it is
possible that the latter could change again without violating the former.

One commenter at the link reasoned:
<<If cold radiation is physically real, then it ought to be possible to
produce temperatures below 0 Kelvin (absolute zero), simply by focusing
enough of them, just as a solar furnace can produce extremely high
temperatures by use of a mirror. The fact that this does not happen ought
to be a clue.>>

I have thought about this too, but I think this is a strawman argument. The
commenter presumes that if cold radiation is real, then it must necessarily
be the mirror image of hot radiation.

Harry