Harry, I see a great visual example! Thank you.

But now my brain is interfering.

What about light beams with a beat frequency that's a forward motion?  The 'pattern' would move superluminally forward in the interfering beams.

So, if superluminal moire interference beats are an abstract relationship that travels superluminally, how are atoms cooled by capturing them in crossed laser beams of differing colors?

Condensed matter is cooled as trapped-atoms in crossed lasers. Does this mean the atoms are literally nesting in an interference pattern?  The abstraction seems physical now.

Suppose for confusion one of the laser beams with trapped atoms is changed in frequency that causes a change of the location of the interference pattern nesting the atom.

If the atom follows the pattern-nest, and the nest moves superluminally, what would the atom do?  Assume the acceleration is gradual enough that the atom remains coupled in the nest that accelerates past light speed.

I don't know enough about physics to get confused the right way.

Is this just a confused way to dance around another paradox?  Or, is the premise of the question screwed up?

-don