Vortexians,

Having worked in the automotive industry for a long time, I've encountered
various things that can be of use to the amateur scientist. A lot of them are
not applicable here, but one that came back to mind the other day I thought I
should put out there, and maybe you guys can offer your thoughts on it.

Getting "ash" from various experiments analyzed can be expensive, perhaps out
of reach of the "little guy". But as things go, there are cheaper commercial
options out there for certain markets... namely, engine oil analysis. An outfit
called Blackstone Labs is one of the companies that does this, and a few of our
customers have used them in the past. I know there are others. $30.00 isn't
expensive, and while maybe not the best "peer review" quality results, it
should at least be useful for personal testing...once kinks are worked out and
something is reliable, then the more expensive professional labs can be brought
in.

Since they only use motor oil, a possibility would be to get some standard
grade of no-frills oil, maybe even non-detergent, just a basic oil, and take
two equal measures of it. This would be brand new, unused of course. One leave
as it is, this is your control. To the other, add some of the "ash" whatever it
might be. That's your experimental. Since the oil carrier itself is the same,
once it's sent in and analyzed you should be able to determine the relative
difference of some elements and get a feel for the composition of the ash.
Alternatively, send three samples. One a baseline with just oil, second a
control with your experiments ingredients before the experiment was run, third,
oil with the post-experiment ash.

Obviously you wouldn't want to send anything very hazardous or radioactive. I
doubt small amounts of nickel or palladium or whatever would be a problem.

Thoughts or input on this?

KRM