From: Jed Rothwell<mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 12:26 PM
To: c...@googlegroups.com<mailto:c...@googlegroups.com>;
Vortex<mailto:vortex-L@eskimo.com>
Subject: [Vo]:OFF TOPIC Carbon monoxide alarm

I strongly recommend that readers equip their houses with alarms for smoke and
carbon monoxide. A carbon monoxide alarm may have saved my life a few days ago.
Some of the things it did surprised me, and made me think it was a false alarm,
so let me describe what happened. If you ignore what you assume is a false
alarm, you might wake up dead.

Last year we had our house electric system repaired and brought up to code,
which includes adding hard-wired alarms for smoke and CO to every bedroom. On
April 5, at 6:30 a.m., the alarm located in the hallway above the furnace
return triggered continuously. I turned off the furnace and opened doors to the
outside. The alarm triggered again some minutes later.

There are three alarms in that area, one in the hall, and two in the rooms
beyond, but I think only the one in the hallway triggered. It continued to beep
periodically. It stopped for a while and then ended with a flurry of short
beeps after 9 a.m.:

9:14
9:18
9:22
9:24
9:28

Nothing after that. During these final bursts, I am sure only that one alarm
triggered. The unit also emitted a bright red light from inside, like something
from a 1960s science fiction movie.

CO gas is lighter than air. Apparently, it was trapped in the hallway ceiling,
which forms a bowl above 5 doors. It is surprising the gas took so long to
disperse. I should have put a fan in the hallway.

The HVAC guy came. He turned on the furnace again and used a hand-held meter to
confirm there was CO. The meter showed increasing concentration. The
concentration did not reach a high enough level to trigger the alarm. The meter
is more sensitive than the alarm.

At around 9 a.m. I suspected the alarm was malfunctioning, since only one alarm
triggered, and there were periodic beeps 3 hours after the furnace was turned
off. However, the hand-held meter confirmed there was a problem, and since that
time the alarm has not triggered. The furnace has remained off.

I recommend you install a CO alarm on the ceiling or high up on the wall.

Without 21st century CO detection and mRNA vaccine technology, I might have
died twice in the last few months. You see why no one is more in favor of
progress and technology than me. Of course I also acknowledge the harm they
cause.

A new furnace will be installed tomorrow.