Hi,

Assuming a radius of 10 fm for the nucleus of a Uranium atom, to which a
negative muon would be attracted, and thus gain
kinetic energy, coming from "infinitely" far away, the muon would gain about 13
MeV of kinetic energy. That's more than
enough to fission even U238 (or any actinide for that matter) directly.
So whether the muons are created by a proton beam or from UDH probably wouldn't
make any difference.
This would result in complete "burn up" of Uranium in the reactor, leaving no
long lived actinide waste.
Also, because it is muon based rather than neutron based, there is no issue
with "poisons".
So you end up with a reactor that runs for decades without refueling, and as a
bonus produces no long lived waste.
Furthermore, with a bit of luck, a muon that caused a fission reaction, might
even be re-accelerated by the fission
event giving it enough energy to trigger more fission reactions. If so, this
would make such a reactor (much?) more
efficient. Note that the short lifetime of the muon ensures that you don't get
a complete runaway cascade, unless
collision of a very energetic muon with a proton/neutron can trigger the
production of more muons.
Fission reactions usually deliver roughly 1 MeV/amu of mass, so for Uranium
it's about 200 MeV, which would be the most
energy that a muon could acquire from a fission event. If GeV protons are
needed to create muons, then 200 MeV may be
too little to produce more.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au>