Dear Jed,

Among the advantages of my system is the ability to provide a low-cost (yet
ecologically sound

and man-rated) mass-transfer system as a low-earth-orbit "waystation" that
can then provide

massive boosts to interplanetary transportation (e.g. to L1). The ability
to transfer people from

earth to space (and back), as well as to support a "tunable" sunshade,
would make it a

permanent fixture. In addition to reducing global warming (and preventing
methane release),

the shade rings would greatly reduce the global energy needs (details in
the papers). Nevertheless,

I agree with you that man's continuing thirst for energy must be ultimately
satisfied by technological

advances (e.g. CF). On the other hand, with uncontrolled population growth,
even CF-derived

electrical-energy production will have excessive waste-heat production. It
might ultimately be

necessary to move (even CF) electrical-energy production off-earth. But,
perhaps by that time,

population control and moving people and much industry off-planet will have
solved that problem.

Andrew

_ _ _