Well if you consider all of the possible interactions that could happen
with so-called virtual particles (whatever quantum field theory might call
them) it calculates the exact value and is the "most successful
calculation/prediction in physics".  I can't judge the relative value of
the model you mention but I would argue that even if it somehow explains
away for example Lamb shift, how would other phenomena that give evidence
of a substantive and energetic nature to space be discounted?

For example the Casimir effect, are you saying this isn't a result of
eliminating certian frequency modes in the Quantum field?

And the permitivity of free space and displscement current in a vacuum, are
you saying there is nothing in the vacuum to be displaced? (polarized)

There is a lot more than just Lamb shift that nerds to be explained away.