Hi,

I may have previously suggested on this list that in Uranium fission reactor
where a U salt is dissolved in heavy water,
some additional neutrons might be created by the the fission daughter products
spalling a neutron from the D in the
heavy water. (Jones previously mentioned that CANDU reactors may produce
additional neutrons through a similar process
where fast neutrons split D.)
If I have calculated correctly, only about the lightest 1/4 of the daughter
products are light enough to do this,
however, they have enough energy to split multiple D nuclei, one after the
other, so this approach may be interesting
after all.
Besides, after a D is split, the resultant neutron may have enough energy to
split another D.

This type of process may therefore produce enough neutrons to speed up the
breeding of U233 from Thorium.

Cloud storage:-

Unsafe, Slow, Expensive

...pick any three.