As said, if you start at p=1 and increase T by 100C then psi is 1/3 not 5. For 200C its 2/3 etc...

J.W.

On 17.06.2024 11:01, Jonathan Berry wrote:
Yes but I am assuming the gas is hot enough to behave according to the ideal gas law.

And it follows that to a presst decent temp close enough as I understand.

For my purposes it only has to be close enough.

Now to be clear what I am talking about has NOTHiNG to do with the TOTAL pressure, rather the pressure increase with a certain amount of added energy (thermal). So if you add enough energy to increase temp by 100 Kelvin from say 300 or so Kelvin the pressure increase you get will be about 5 PSI, and if you put double the energy in, especially if the gas is Helium say (Monatomic) you increase the temp by 200 K degrees instead to a total of say 400K (roughly) then you get 10 PSI...

But the amount that 10 PSI must push a Piston to reach go back to 0 PSI (actually, it's sea level of 14+10 so 24PSI that has to reduce to 10 btu whatever) is twice as far as if it were just 5 (technically 19) PSI. So double the force over double the distance (kinda, pressure drops every millimeter but I did check every millimeter of movement and it does work out).

So I think I'm right still.