Frank Z wrote.

> All rotating charges should emit electromagnetic energy and spiral into the nucleus.
> Why do they not?  Is this energy reflected back.  What is the mechanism?
> I believe that free space is not always a constant impediance enviroment.
> The impediance changes as the intensity of a quantum field exceeds its elastic limit.
> Its sort of like an insulator breaks down beyond a certain voltage.

Here's an abbreviated lesson on how a trapped photon in a  lossless-totally -reflecting
section of a fiber optic wave guide works, Frank.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/jk1/lectures/node95.html

Dielectric wave guides
"Consider an axisymmetric tube of arbitrary cross section made of some dielectric material and surrounded by a vacuum. This structure can serve as a wave guide provided that the dielectric constant of the material is sufficiently large. Note, however, that the boundary conditions satisfied by the electromagnetic fields are significantly different to those of a conventional wave guide. The transverse fields are governed by two equations; one for the region inside the dielectric, and the other for the vacuum region."
"The oscillatory solutions (inside) must be matched to the exponentiating solutions (outside). The boundary conditions are the continuity of normal ${\bfm B}$ and ${\bfm D}$ and tangential ${\bfm E}$ and ${\bfm H}$ on the surface of the tube. These boundary conditions are far more complicated than those in a conventional wave guide. For this reason, the normal modes cannot usually be classified as either pure TE or pure TM modes. In general, the normal modes possess both electric and magnetic field components in the transverse plane. However, for the special case of a cylindrical tube o! f dielectric material the normal modes can have either pure TE or pure TM characteristics."

Enjoy.

Fred