Fred wrote..

>Reminiscent of the WPA-built outhouse we had on a farm
my dad bought right after WW II started.
The corrugated tin roof spaces between it and the frame
allowed escape of "essence".

Newsprint and the old Sears catalog served as "Charmin".

The "accumulator" was a hole in the ground beneath the
precast concrete floor that made it easy to discern which
was one's buttocks.

Howdy Fred..

You have a good memory for details. We have one of the few remaining WPA outhouses remaining in Fayette county Texas.The work of art was constructed by local German and Czech folks back around 1936 and has a galvanized roof, well constructed of wood. Concrete floor and commode, wooden toilet seat that raises on hinge. A vertical concrete tile riser pipe from floor through roof provides the " venting". A cutout star in lieu of a halfmoon in the top endwall,, shows more class.The barn always faced the road so anyone riding past could count the number of stalls. People set store on a barn with more than 4 stalls because it indicated prosperity. Now people drive Lexus to show off.

Alas, the times have passed!

Richard