Frank wrote:

>I'm sick a tired of pointing out to my scientifically illiterate
>relatives that in the winter it costs nothing to run the
>electrical devices in our house since thermostats automatically
>turn down the electric heating.

Sorry to quibble, but in a house or office with only one thermostat and poorly
designed ventilation, a kitchen or computer room can be uncomfortably hot. That
is a waste of energy. A fan will fix the problem.

> Obviously, if one has an alternative much cheaper form of space heating then
> some savings can be
> made by switching off.

Yup. Gas heating or an electric heat pump are much cheaper than resistance
electric space heating.