Hi Andreas,

This is a copy of a letter sent to the letters pages of major
Australian newspapers (which they don't appear inclined to print),
and copied to the PM.
Prime Minister,

As well as having Uranium resources among the largest in the
World, Australia has about a million square kilometers of desert
admirably suited to the collection of solar energy, and pretty
much useless for anything else. In fact we could more than supply
the entire planet with solar based energy, giving us a new export
industry greater than any we currently have.
Using dirt cheap paper thin plastic cylindrical Fresnel lenses,
with the actual plumbing lying on the surface, and hence requiring
no supporting structure, combined with "selective surface"
technology, solar could be 10-100 times cheaper than it currently
is (guesstimate). That would make it cheaper than all existing
technologies.
Furthermore modular construction can be used for a solar
installation, with small segments being brought "on line" as they
are completed, whereas a nuclear plant doesn't start producing
power until the whole thing is completed.

The expertise already exists in Australian universities,
particularly UNSW.

To top it off, it would vastly improve Australia's "green" image
in the World.

R. van Spaandonk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
5/11 Forest View Lane
Upper Ferntree Gully