--- Grimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have here a phenomena well known to material
scientists and concrete heads. It's called HYSTERESIS.

Frank,

I am only familiar with the term in regard to
magnetics - is there a big difference in meaning in
materials science (over the basic notion of 'temporal
continuity' ).

It should be noted, for those who do not remember all
of Feynman's pronouncements (and I have forgotten the
correct terminology but it is not 'hysteresis') but
relates to structural 'coherence' such as crystal
structure - in itself is a physical 'ordering'
property which can be used for possible power
production, when disrupted (into disorder)... and with
an energy-content in the range of a fractional eV per
atom - perhaps double what you get from buring
gasoline in air yet with no 'obvious' chemical redox
reaction...

Jones