I agree with the judge and the Patent Office, which "demanded to see a working model." People who make this kind of claim are obliged to prove it, unless they have some legitimate excuse. For example, if a prototype would cost millions of dollars, the inventor cannot be expected to make one, but the rest of us cannot be expected to believe him, either. That is a tough situation, making it hard to be fair to the inventor.

In this case, based on a cursory description of the gadget, I suppose it would be easy to build a demonstration prototype, or pay someone a few thousand dollars to fabricate one. The inventor should be willing to do this, if he believes the gadget will work.

Along the same lines, a person who has invented a magnetic motor should be willing to do some first principle physics demonstrations to prove to observers that it is producing energy. Perhaps for some reason the magnetic motor cannot self-sustain at this stage. But I do not think we are moving the goal posts unreasonably when we ask for something along the lines Grimer and I discussed yesterday; i.e., calibrating with an ordinary electric motor, or:

"A simple string and pulley system with a falling weight would show how much windage and friction there was and the energy needed to keep it going for three hours could be easily calculated."

If there is a reason why these particular tests cannot be done, the inventor should describe the reason and try to come up with something similar that will satisfy reasonable demands for proof. It is in the inventor's own best interests to do so, because if he is mistaken, and the gadget is not producing energy, he is wasting his time.