-0500:
Hi,
[snip]
>Permanent magnets were openly discussed in the Vorts room. A magnet of this
>type is a most complete example of a true "vortex" in its function. The magnet
>has "poles", it has vortex " action" and it is " balanced". It is a good
>example of "good". <grin>
>A vortex produces an "upward" flow on its periphery while it produces a
>"downward" flow at the face off the inner eyewall.

Based on this notion, it occurred to me that a horizontal compass
placed centrally above one pole of a vertical bar magnet might
rotate. I tried it a few months back, but saw no sign of rotation.
Mind you, it was very difficult to get the compass to stay
balanced. Perhaps another Vort will have more luck. :)
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/