-0400:
Hi,
[snip]
>If we maintain a mean consumption of 10^8 barrels per day (it's around
>88 mbpd now), 10^12 will last 10^4 days, or totally deplete in 2033.
>We will be bankrupt and dead long before that.  Idiots.
[snip]
If you start at the current usage and calculate in an annual
growth rate of 2%, it will only last till 2030.

World population growth rate is currently about 1.14% (and has
been dropping, see http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=xx&v=24),
but industrial development means that fuel consumption grows
faster than the population.

Even at 1.14% it would only last until 2033.

Nevertheless, the 1E12 bbl estimate apparently doesn't include the
shale oil in the US, which should roughly double the total
reserves (See
http://www.worldenergy.org/wec-geis/publications/reports/ser/shale/shale.asp).
Taking this into account and still assuming a growth rate of only
1.14%, we have till 2053.

At 2% it would last till 2046.

BTW none of the above takes into account that rising prices will
suppress demand.

For a very interesting read see also
http://www.greatchange.org/ov-simmons,club_of_rome_revisted.html
Regards,