-0700:
Hi,
[snip]
>I must say that when you do not see gas being evolved that you are working
>closer to strickly ohmic conduction versus ionic. Also you will not be able
>to stop gas once you exceed as Robin stated ~ 1.2V. Although some in the
>field have evolved gas below this level with the proper supply (pulsed DC).

If a simple voltmeter on the DC scale is being used to measure the
voltage, then it's not likely to be registering the peak voltage
in a pulsed setup, so while it might appear that lower pulsed
voltages result in gas formation, it's possible that the gas is
actually only being produced during the actual peak of the pulse,
where it exceeds ~ 1.2 V.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/