Very interesting Kyle. The most comprehensive assessment I've ever read, of the diesel situation (or lack of it).

Only one thing: from what I've heard and read, the days of slow, polluting diesels are apparently over (as you saw with BMW). And apparently it's not the visible pollution that kills, it's the invisible stuff. The visible stuff LOOKS ugly, but it's mostly carbon.

Then there were the futile attempts by the US auto industry to sell diesel engines in their cars during the 70s - engines that were essentially modified gasoline engines. Wonder where these engineers are now?

P.

At 07:49 PM 9/28/2006 -0400, you wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Winestone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]: SUVs

> But NOBODY can answer the question I ask constantly (in fact I've been
> greeted with consistently stony silence, even from journalists who write
> about these things): Why are there no SUVs or plans for SUVs with diesel
> engines in the works?

Hmmm... that is a good question. Maybe it has to do with pollution (see
below) but there seems to be more to it. Maybe the majority of the public
doesn't want them? But that seems suspect too...I hear quite a few people
wish for diesels here and there. Lack of performance? That doesn't work
either, there are plenty of people buying underpowered gasoline four-bangers
which just crawl along; they want economy over performance. So why not a
diesel? Its an enigma.

> And why do diesel engines command ENORMOUS
> premiums.  A chap I was talking to a few months ago, told me that the
> premium for diesel in his Ford truck, was $7000.

Not an insignificant chunk of change.

Not sure exactly, however I do know that here in NY, there are certain
Volkswagens which cannot be registered in New York state, and these are
diesels with a particular kind of direct injection setup. I see them from
time to time driven by out of state university students going to SUNY/UB.
The mechanic I work with, who has done a lot with diesel, says it is a
pollution issue, the diesels pollute more. But this is also upstate NY, so
things don't often make sense.

Under ideal conditions, when you factor in the increased efficiency (but
reduced performance) of diesels versus gasoline, the diesel engine produces
slightly less CO2, but more of basically everything else. Much more
particulates. Of course, ideal conditions do not exist.... a normally
maintained (read: poorly, for the average Joe) diesel is much more pollutive
than a gasoline engine. NYS doesn't like this, so they pick on the diesels.

Myself, I don't want a diesel, let alone a modern one; the maze of vacuum
lines and Bible-size wiring diagram will frustrate to no end, and they are
higher maintenance. I prefer something I can work on at home as much as
possible, and for little expense, being a member of the local "Po' Folk" and
all. They also tend to leak oil and diesel like no ones business, and that
is certainly no good for anyone. Trying to keep one with age on it running
well is a serious hassle, and cold startup complicates things further. That
said, let the reader be aware that my experience with diesels is limited to
the Mercedes-Benz turbodiesels and 1.9L VW TDIs. I have not worked on
American diesels much at all, aside from our trusty tow truck (whose only
problem is a poorly designed ABS system.)

On the gripping hand....BMW diesels are QUIET. Disturbingly quiet. First
time I heard one, I did not know it was a diesel! I have only worked on the
one BMW diesel, but it was clean. If it is representative of most BMW
diesels, then they have something good going on. I might not mind driving
that, but given the price tag....yeah, I'll stick to Buicks and Chevys.

> No point in having lots of biodiesel if you can't buy a decent, practical
> (North American) vehicle with a diesel engine as an option.

Biodiesel manufacture is starting to spring up around here. In the sleepy
little town of Wheatfield (10-15 miles from Buffalo) there are some guys
working on setting up a biodiesel plant. The town has apparently agreed to
buy its diesel fuel from them, for construction equipment, trucks, etc. The
only snag is funding; everyone wants to see it happen, but no one wants to
sign a check.

--Kyle