Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:

>thomas sez:
>
>I just heard Fox news say that the NK did detonate an atom bomb. Last
>night Hal Lindsey mentioned the 550 ton yield. Since the critical mass

>>We can speculate till we're all glowing blue with radiation regarding Kim
>>Jong's alleged predilections. Perhaps he does like his Scotch and wine.
>>
> I was making the point that Kim's decision to shoot off an atom bomb
> or two, seems like the action of a lunatic. For one thing while our
> ground forces are tied up, our naval and sea forces aren't. For
> another thing, the Japanese Samari were sound asleep, and he woke
> them up. OTOH, as long as the Chinese are willing to tolerate his
> nonsense, I doubt that anything will be done.

I would agree that China most likely holds the important cards. We shall
just have to wait and see how tolerant and/or intolerant "the Dragon"
chooses to be.

> BTW, Kim's behavior is well documented. Have you ever heard about
> his having people kidnapped and forcing them to acquiesce to his
> whims? This includes young women, and a film producer. .

You are likely referring to film producer, Shin Sang-ok. If you can believe
what is printed in Wikipedia here are the more salient facts:

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Sang-ok

North Korean period (1978–1986)

In 1978, actress Choi Eun-hee, recently divorced from Shin, was kidnapped
from Hong Kong to North Korea. When Shin traveled to Hong Kong to
investigate, he was kidnapped as well. The kidnappings were on orders of
future dictator Kim Jong-il, who wanted to establish a film industry for his
country to sway international opinion regarding the views of the Workers'
Party of Korea.[4] The North Korean authorities have denied the kidnapping
accusations, claiming that Shin came to the country willingly. Shin and his
wife made secret audio tapes of conversations with Kim Jong-il, supporting
his story."

Shin was put in comfortable accommodations, but, after an escape attempt,
was placed in prison. He was brought to Pyongyang in 1983, to learn why he
had been brought to North Korea. [4] His ex-wife was also brought to the
same dinner party, where she first learned that Shin was also in North
Korea. They re-married shortly afterwards, as suggested by Kim Jong-il.

>From 1983 Shin directed seven films with Kim Jong-il acting as an executive
producer. The best known of these films is Pulgasari, a giant-monster film
similar to the Japanese Godzilla, which can be seen as a metaphor for the
effects of unchecked capitalism. In 1986, eight years after his kidnapping,
Shin and his wife made a daring escape in Vienna[4], before eventually
fleeing to the United States, seeking political asylum.[1]

I bet there is a movie worth making here!

In the meantime there are plenty of less documented rumors circulated among
Kim's harshest critics for which the content appears to do nothing more than
attempts to paint Kim as a degenerate nincompoop. Most of those rumors
remain unsubstantiated, discounted, and unsupported.

It might help to keep in mind the obvious fact that most nincompoops are not
likely to be intelligent or wily enough to maintain political power, and
particularly for as long as Kim has shrewdly managed to do so. There also
appears to be little evidence to suggest the possibility that Kim is in
danger of being replaced anytime soon, unless, of course, he drops his
nuclear shoe. At that point all bets are off.

Personally, I don't think Kim is deliberately planning to drop a nuclear
shoe on anyone, and for obvious reasons. I suspect Kim has a far more
convoluted "contingency" plan of action in mind, one that actually might
work.

FWIW, as I had speculated previously, Kim's political behavior resembles
that of a martyr. His behavior of continued nuclear provocations suggests,
at least to this observer, that in a cool, conscious, and calculated way he
is deliberately trying to provoke the superpowers, (specifically, the United
States!) into attacking his country FIRST in what he hopes will turn out to
be a haphazard, ill-thought-out, and limited military campaign. He may be
basing that reasoning on what he has seen happening to the United States and
its continued debacles over in Iraq Land. From a leader with a martyr's POV,
to be able to successfully provoke such an ill-planned military engagement
originating from a hated superpower against his poor and starving county
would quickly legitimize his regime and simultaneously bring condemnation
and shame expressed from of the rest of the world on the doorstep of the
belligerent Superpower. IOW, since Kim's options and resources are quickly
dwindling to zilch, I suspect a major contingency plan he has had in place
for some time is to attempt to provoke the United States into in a limited
military campaign against his country. Instigating a limited military
campaign would be the only way he and his regime could hope to survive the
risky ordeal. The best way to provoke a superpower is to behave AS-IF you
really ARE going to drop a nuclear bomb, but with no rational intention of
actually planning on doing so. The point is to PROVOKE one's enemy into
ACTING OR REACTING FIRST SO THEY CAN BE BLAMED FOR STARTING THE WAR. And as
the military campaign unfolds, Kim could then expect to quickly garner
significant sympathy for all the trials and tribulations brought upon his
ravaged country. Remember, the United States instigated the latest military
campaign against Iraq, a fact that I'm sure has not been lost on Kim within
his martyr calculations. And also remember, martyrs love to garner as much
sympathy as they can possibly get from others - meaning the rest of the
world. But more importantly, global sympathy would eventually translate into
all sorts of reparations for his country, and of course his regime. It's
good to be the "Kim".

It's risky. It's exceedingly dangerous. It's also very clever and shrewd.
Considering the collective intellectual & emotional IQ of the current
administration behavior towards "evil" nations, I would say that Kim might
actually have a shot at achieving some level of global martyrdom, and
possibly even surviving a limited military attempt to nail him and his
regime to the cross.

God! I hope not!

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson